It’s officially summer in Asheville! We’ve got two recipes to help you deal with summertime bugs: one for itchy bites and the other a preventative spray. Both are organic and are easy to make at home. Don’t want to make a spray at home? We’ve got it for sale at Silver Leaf! Stop by our clinic Monday – Friday 10 am to 6 pm to pick up your blend.
Relief from itchy insect bites:
The following essential oils used topically in dilution can bring relief from itchy insect bites:
- Tea Tree oil
- Thyme Linalool (especially helpful for chigger bites)
To dilute the oils put 2-5 drops into 1 TBS carrier oil (olive, almond, grapeseed, etc.).
For greater cooling relief dilute the oils into 1 TBS aloe vera gel.
Another option is to pour 1 oz of witch hazel or vinegar into a small glass spray bottle, add 10-20 drops of essential oils, shake well, and spray over bites.
Briefly steep a bag of chamomile or chrysanthemum tea, then apply the tea bag either warm or chilled to the bite (this is also great for sunburn!).
Keeping bugs away:
Make your own mosquito repellent using essential oils!
You will need:
- 2 oz spray bottle (glass, aluminum, or stainless steel)
- Witch Hazel, 1 oz
- Boiled or distilled water, 1 oz
- Glycerin, 1 tsp (optional)
- Approximately 50 drops of Essential oils (choose 3-4 from the list below)
Catnip (has a geranium/rose-like scent and is amazing at repelling bugs!)
Chamomile (do not use if have ragweed allergy)
- Add witch hazel, water, and glycerin (if using) to spray bottle
- Add essential oils
- Cap and shake well before using (shake well before every use!)
- Apply every 30 min to 1 hour as needed